Run by a sister and brother duo, Kachin restaurant Chin Ngan Sat has won the hearts of many Yangonites with its authentic cuisine. In association Myanmar Ethnic Restaurateurs Group (MERG), the pair shared one of their most popular recipes, kyet Kachin (Kachin chicken), although—not wanting to give away all of their secrets—they concealed a few personalized details.
Garlic- 3 pieces
Salt- 1 tablespoons
Oil- 3 tablespoons
Ginger- 1 piece
Chilli powder- 2 tablespoons
Basil- 1 bushel
A nam (Kachin powder)- 1 tablespoon
Dried quince- 1
- Pound garlic, onion, ginger, and chilli into a paste.
- Dice the chicken into eight pieces.
- Add pounded garlic, onion, ginger, and chilli into the cooking oil and stir for five minutes.
- Add chicken and stir for five minutes.
- Add chilli powder and salt and stir for two minutes.
- Add a cup of water and dried quince and stir until the chicken becomes tender.
- Take the chicken out of the pot and put it into a bowl.
- Spread a nam and basil on the dish. (A nam is available to buy from Chin Ngan Sat.) Chin Ngan Sat 1. Between Kan Yeik Thar Road AND Nat Mauk Street, Mhyaw Sin Island, Kandawgyi Park, Mingala Taungnyunt Township.
Chin Ngan Sat 2. No. 58, Shan Kone St, Myaynigone
Phone: 09 778 86 5666, 09 787 86 5666