Some roads and lanes will be closed on Sunday (January 21) morning in Yangon as the city prepares for this year’s Yoma International Marathon 2018 (YYIM).
Event organizers Yoma Strategic Holdings, First Myanmar Investment (FMI) and Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC) announced that the following roads will be fully or partially closed to motorists because of safety reasons:
· Waizayandar and Lay Dankkan Junction to Thanthumar Junction (2am to 12.30pm)
· Yar Za Di Yit to Old Strand Road (4.30am to 9am)
· Old Strand Road to Kyeemyindaing Kanner Road (4.30am to 9am)
· Shwe Dagon Pagoda Road to U Htaung Bo Road (4.30am to 9am)
· Ba Nyar Dala Road to Kyaikka San Road (4.30am to 10.30am)
· Set Yone Road to Ba Nyar Dala Road (4.30am to 10.30am)
· Baho Road to Say War Street (4.30am to 11am)
· Aung Theikdi Road to Min Dhama Road (4.30am to 11am)
· Thitsar Road (Kanbe) to Moe Kaung Road (4.30am to 11am)
Barricades will be erected and traffic police will be involved to manage traffic flow. Organizers said course routes for the race categories have been improved from past events to allow participants to have a “more enjoyable running experience.”
With the start and finish point of the various races at Thuwanna Indoor Stadium, some of the notable iconic sites of the marathon route are Botahtaung Pagoda, Shwedagon Pagoda and Inya Lake.
The races comprise a full marathon, half marathon (21km), 10km challenge and 3km fun run.
YYIM 2018 Route Map
2018 marks the sixth year YYIM will be held and will involve more than 9,000 runners—at least 1,000 more than last year. A total of 8,787 local runners and 408 international runners have been registered to participate.
Runners can pick up their race pack on 18, 19 and 20 January 2018 (Thursday to Saturday) from 10am to 5pm on each day at Thuwunna National Indoor Stadium. The pack contains an event T-shirt, a race bib, the race guide and items from YYIM sponsors. It is compulsory for all participants to collect the pack to participate in YYIM 2018.
For more information visit the event Facebook page and website – www.facebook.com/YomaYangonInternationalMarathon / www.yomayangonmarathon.com or call +959 2507 63253.
Visit yomayangonmarathon.com/racedetails for full details on all road closures.