For your convenience, Sampan Travel has collected a summary of guidelines and regulations for foreigners travelling in Myanmar during the global pandemic. As with everything at the moment, guidelines are subject to change because the situation remains fluid. We recommend that you check with your trip providers to ensure you are prepared for the journey.
At a glance
- The Ministry of Hotels & Tourism (MOHT) has announced the withdrawal of health check-ups upon entering cities, regions and states.
- The suspension of international arrivals and the issuance of visas has been extended to August 31st. Officials have said flights will likely remain suspended until October at the earliest. Exemptions with caveats will be made for “pressing” business cases.
- Beaches in Ayeyarwaddy Region (Ngwe Saung, Chauntha, Gaw Yan Gyi) set to re-open after imminent hotel inspections.
- What documents do I need to travel?
As a precaution, we recommend that you travel with a ward endorsement. This is a document stating that you have not recently been outside of Myanmar. A template can be seen here. You will of course need your passport with a valid visa. As an extra precaution you may wish to bring your Foreign Registration Certificate (FRC) and Form C. Requirements vary from region to region. Please scroll down and view “Recommended Documentation.”
- Are hotels open?
Most hotels, motels, guesthouses and inns have re-opened in line with guidelines set out by the Ministry of Health & Sport. Be sure to confirm the status of the hotel you wish to stay at with a tour operator, travel agent or the hotel directly. We have heard reports of Online Travel Agents (OTAs) processing bookings to hotels that have not yet re-opened.
Whether or not facilities such as swimming pools, spas and even hotel restaurants are open will depend upon local authorities and the policy of individual hotels.
- Can I travel by domestic flight in Myanmar?
Yes. Be aware that social distancing is not always enforced.
- Can I travel by coach?
Yes. Regulations such as mask-wearing and distancing between passengers will apply. Some coach companies are still cautious about accepting foreign passengers. Please be sure to check the policy of particular coach companies with your travel agent or directly with the coach company. Note that different restrictions apply to different routes. You will likely be required to reserve two seats per person so to allow for social distancing. Blankets will not be provided. If chartering a private coach you will be required to allow for physical distancing by leaving some seats empty.
- Are public places, sites, and attractions open?
Most pagodas are closed. The pagodas in Bagan have been open but the most popular ones such as Ananda and Dhammayangyi will be closing ahead of this week’s public holiday to avoid crowds. Pagodas in Yangon reported starting re-opening from Thursday 30th July.
Most other attractions and sites, such as churches and museums, are closed. If open, certain regulations are likely to apply, such as limits on group numbers and the need for advance notification. Health certificates may be required. It is likely you will be asked to store hand luggage in a locker and wear disposable slippers provided. International visitors may be asked to go through more intensive screening than Myanmar nationals.
- Mandalay Region – Mandalay, Bagan, Popa
- Southern Shan State – Inle, Kalaw, Pindaya
No documents required.
- Northern Shan State – Hsipaw, Lashio
Ward endorsement, health endorsement.
- Nay Pyi Daw
- Kayah State – Loikaw
- Ayeyarwaddy Region – Pathein, Ngwe Saung, Gaw Yan Gyi
Closed to travellers.
- Bago Region – Bago, Taungoo, Thadaung Gyi
Ward endorsement for Bago and Taungoo
Ward and health endorsement for Thadaung Gyi
- Kayin State – Hpa-An
- Mon State – Mawlamyine
- Tanintharyi Region – Dawei, Myeik
Ward endorsement for Dawei
Ward and health endorsement for Myeik
- Southern Rakhine State – Thandwe, Ngapali, Gwa
Ward and health endorsement for Thandwe and Ngapali.
Gwa is closed to travellers.
- Southern Chin State – Mindat, Kanpetlet, Mt. Victoria
- Kachin State – Myitkyina, Indawgyi
Ward endorsement, health endorsement. Potential three-week quarantine.
Please Note: All the above recommendations are superseded by the travel restrictions for foreigners applied by the Myanmar Government pre-pandemic.
Thanks to Sampan Travel for sharing this valuable information
+95 (0) 1 503 504
+95 9440 647 312