Loved for their crunchy texture, banana blossoms are a great addition to any salad but work best when they’re the star of the show. A healthy option for a hot day, this fresh salad recipe can also be spiced up with green chilis or balachaung.
Ingredients (for 10 people)
- 2 banana buds
- 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh tamarind
- 2 tablespoons peanut powder
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning powder
- 1 lime
- Peel the banana buds, save the husk and chop into four pieces.
- Boil water in a large pot and add the tamarind until fully dissolved. Then add the sliced banana buds.
- When the banana buds are soft, immerse in cold water.
- Next lightly squeeze the water out of the banana buds and chop them into small pieces.
- Chop the onions finely, next immerse in cold water for one minute, before removing and drying.
- In a large bowl mix together the banana buds, onions, peanuts powder, sesame seeds, fish sauce, oil and chicken seasoning powder.
- Add squeezed lime to taste.
- Serve the Banana Blossom Salad in the husk as shown.