From the herby fare of the north to the fresh and spicy seafood along the western coastline, Myanmar has an endless choice of tasty ethnic cuisine. To try your hand at cooking a classic, Padonmar Restaurant offers the following recipe.
Ingredients (for three people)
- Snakehead fish – 80 gm
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 20 grams
- Pounded rice – 2 dinner spoons
- Bamboo shoots – 50 grams
- Fresh basil leaves – 1 small bunch
- Fish sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper – Half teaspoon
- Pan-heated pounded rice is mixed with water and boiled.
- Thinly sliced bamboo shoots boiled in water separately are kept aside.
- Fish pieces are slightly grilled and added to boiling soup.
- Sliced onion, garlic, boiled bamboo shoots, fish sauce, sugar and pepper are added to the boiling soup.
- Sprinkle fresh basil leaves on top. The soup is now ready to be served.