From the herby fare of the north to the fresh and spicy seafood along the western coastline, Myanmar has an endless choice of tasty ethnic cuisine. To try your hand at cooking a Mon State classic, Maw La Myaing Ma Nwe Kyi restaurant on 5 Yan Naing Road, Yankin Township, offers the following recipe.
- One Sea bass, sliced in pieces
- Five tablespoons (tbs) of cooking oil
- One green mango, sliced in pieces
- One tbs of chilli powder
- One tbs of fish sauce
- A pinch of salt
- One stick of lemongrass
- Three onions
- One clove of garlic
- Half tbs of cumin powder
- Ten pieces of green chilli
- Coriander leaves
- One glass of water
- Pound the onions, garlic, lemon grass, and chillies, and cumin powder together until they become smooth.
- Heat the pot with cooking oil, then put the mixture in.
- Afterwards, place the sea bass into the pot, followed by the slices of mango.
- Mix it all together, then slowly add water, followed by fish sauce and salt.
- Put the lid on and cook until the water boils for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Cook until the mangos are soft.
- Add the chilli and coriander leaves.