Winner of the Myanmore Awards Myanmar food Restaurant of the Year Khaing Khaing Kyaw has several restaurants across Yangon, each one serving up exceptional and traditional Myanmar cuisine.
To try your hand at cooking on of their dishes yourself, Myanmore and Khaing Khaing Kyaw as part of the Myanmar Ethnic Restaurateurs Group (MERG) offer the following recipe.
Pump featherbacks – 3
Mushroom- 6 halves
Corn- 2 halves
Potato- 3 halves
Green chilli- 4
Squid- 4 medium sized
Pepper- half a tablespoon
Tamarind juice- 90 grams
Pepper sauce- 32 grams
Fish paste (nga pi)- 16 grams
Eryngium foetidum- ½ a bushel
Turmeric powder- half a tablespoon
Garlic- 32 grams
- Mix the squid, lobster, salt, turmeric powder, and fish sauce thoroughly for 10 minutes.
- Put about 160 grams of oil into the pan.
- When the oil is cooked, add thoroughly crushed 640 grams of onion into the pan.
- When the onion is cooked, add about 160 grams of crushed chilli and then add 160 grams of fish paste when a strong scent arises.
- Add mixed squid and lobster into the pan and cover it with a lid for about five minutes.
- Put the water in another pot and then add catfish, pump featherbacks, mushroom, and corn, and then wait until it is fully boiled.
- Then add the ingredients in the pan and the pot together and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add tamarind juice in the end and perhaps some salt or seasoning.